Saturday, December 20, 2008

I WANT ME SOME ANIMAL COLLECTIVE! - and other '09 goodies

If you are not already aware, anticipation for the new Animal Collective release, "Merriweather Post Pavillion", has reached a fever pitch. Web sheriff's (what the fuck does that even mean?) have cracked down on leaks - even throwing Grizzly Bear into the controversy when they upped a song to their blog. All of this for an album that comes out on in just 2 weeks (January 6th)!

The new album is supposed to further build on Animal Collective's trend towards more electronic beat making and utilize more of Noah Lennox's techniques he used so adeptly on his last Panda Bear album. Apparently, while touring Europe they became obsessed with the house and trance scene, and subsequently that is supposed to be evident in their new recordings.

I'm about as excited for this release as I have been for any release in recent memory. If this isn't the best album of 2009 it will likely be a let down for me. Animal Collective is known for playing all new material live first, letting it evolve over a tour, before commiting it to recording and due to this most of the tracks on the new album are available as live recordings (though they could sound significantly different). I have secured a live recording of every song on the new album, and from what I have heard it sounds pretty fucking mind blowing.
For your downloading pleasure:

As for other exciting releases coming out:

Andrew Bird Noble Beast:
This has actually already leaked. Nothing that has knocked my socks off, but solid as usual.

... And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead The Century of Self:
Hopefully they can put an end to their terrible downward spiral. As great as Source Tags & Codes was, their past couple of releases were unforgivably awful.

Antony And The Johnsons The Crying Light:
Even though I'm not one who is into the whole house/disco-revival scene, I thought Antony's work with Hercules and the Love Affair was solid. I have enjoyed his past releases, and based off how the single sounds, this album should be a bright spot as well. Said single:


The Appleseed Cast Sagarmatha:
Hopefully this album can repeat the achievement's of their Low Level Owl releases.

Bad Plus For All I Care
As much as I enjoy this band, you have to wonder how good a band can be considered when their covers are their best songs.

Crippled Black Phoenix 200 Tons of Bad Luck
Features members of Mogwai. I'm pretty psyched about this one. Track from the album:


Missy Elliott Block Party
Do I even need to say why this is highly anticipated?
IT'S YOUR FREMME NEPPA VENETTE!

Mos Def The Ecstatic
Probably will just be him going through the motions again, like on his last release. We can all hope for a return to form though.

2 comments:

  1. I'm getting the animal collective right now, and that crippled black phoenix track is awesome. I sure hope the new bad plus is better than last year's...but you gotta remember with jazz, a lot of great people play standards/covers, it's what they do with them and the musicianship that sets bands apart. And I'd say a lot of the originals on Suspicious Activity (especially Rhinoceros is my Profession) are better than their covers. Nonetheless, great post!

    PS can we be blog friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know, can you add friends on blogger? how do i "follow" your blog? this whole thing is getting confusing.

    ReplyDelete